1996 Election Notes and Background
1996 Campaign Finance Summary**
* Senator Shibilski won re-election. He was first elected in 1995 in a special election.
* He was unopposed in the primary and faced only Taxpayers party opposition in the general.
* There were no independent expenditures in the election.
|Raised: $63,563||Raised: $1,056|
|Spent: $35,977||Spent: $971|
|Vote: 84.0%||Vote: 15.9%|
|** All 1996 campaign data is from July 1, 1995 - December 31, 1996 (1995 special election data is not included)|
On Which Committees Does Senator Shibilski Serve?
* Senator Shibilski currently serves on the powerful Joint Finance Committee.
* He served on the 1995/96 Senate Committees on: Administrative Rules, Education and Financial Institutions, and Insurance.
Where Did the Money Come From?
Was the Big Money from People in the District?
Individual contributions of $100 or more 7/1/95 - 12/31/96
Which Special Interests Contributed the Most?
Contributions from political action committees (PACs) and Individual contributions of $100 or more
7/1/95 - 12/31/96
|Commercial Banking||several banks through conduits and PACs||$3,435|
|Health Professionals||physicians, chiropractors, and dentists||$2,970|
|Labor||primarily WEAC PAC, other union reps||$1,575|
|Trucking||primarily Everette Roehl, W-TON PAC||$1,400|
|Insurance||execs from five insur. companies, LUPAC||$1,350|
Who are the top Career Patrons of Senator Shibilski?
Individual contributions of $100 or more,
3/1/95 - 12/31/96
|Helen Boley||Retired||Madison||$ 1,000|
|Debra & Darshan Dhaliwal||Bulk Petroleum||Mequon||$ 1,000|
|Fred & Barbara Havenick||Flagler Greyhound Park||Miami||$ 1,000|
|LJ Hochberg||Retired||Highland Park, (IL)||$ 1,000|
|Herbert Kohl||U.S. Senator||Milwaukee||$ 1,000|
|Esther Leah Ritz||Community Activist||Milwaukee||$ 1,000|
|Taemie Saucerman||Intl Brotherhood Elec. Workers||Arena||$ 1,000|